top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you recommend that we carry on our suitcase rather than checking? 

We recommend that you check your suitcase unless you can pack like Rick Steves suggests. 

Will all of our hotels have hair dryers? 

Yes, hotels have hair dryers but they are typically quite ineffective so you might want to bring your own small hair dryer. 

Will I need an adapter for my appliances in Israel and Europe? 

The electric current in Israel is 220 volts, C, single phase, 50 Hertz, the same as in Europe. Most Israeli sockets are three-pronged but most accept European two-pronged plugs. If your appliance does not work on 220 volts, you will need an adaptor. Check the travel guide for adapters and more information. 

Do I need to receive any special vaccination before my trip? 

No. Israel is an entirely western country with an advanced level of hygiene, health care, diagnosis and medicine that is the envy of much of the world and on a par with the best of North America and Western Europe. Previously COVID vaccinations were required but no longer. 


Can you drink tap water in Israel, Rome, and Greece? 

Absolutely: tap water in Israel is safe and delicious. But, you will also find bottled mineral water everywhere. (It’s important to make sure you drink a lot, especially if you are walking, hiking or exercising during hot weather.) 

Is it safe to travel to Israel? 

Israel is an extremely safe country to visit and tour. In 2019, 4.5 million tourists came to Israel, an all-time record, and all of them went back home again safe and sound. 


Are tourists allowed to enter areas outside of the Israeli responsibility (Palestinian areas)? 

Crossing from Israel to the West Bank is direct, easy and no prior authorization is required. Hundreds of tourists make the crossing in both directions every day. As always, it’s wise to check on the political situation before entering the Palestinian Authority. Please note to take your passport with you, on occasions you will need to present it to re-enter Israeli-controlled territory. 

Do I need a visa to travel to Israel? 

Americans, Canadians and citizens of most western countries need just a passport to come to Israel: no visa is required. Your passport must be valid for at least six months from the date you enter the country. 

Can I choose NOT to have an Israel stamp in my passport in case I travel to some countries that don’t recognize Israel? 

Sure. Israel no longer stamps tourists’ passports. Records are now kept electronically. 

What are the distances between major cities? 

  • Tel Aviv to Jerusalem 37 miles, 50 minutes

  • Tel Aviv to Tiberias/Galilee 81 miles, 100 minutes

  • Tel Aviv to Masada 63 miles, 90 minutes

  • Tel Aviv to Haifa 90 miles, 70 minutes

  • Jerusalem to Tiberias 109 miles, 120 minutes

  • Jerusalem to Masada 56 miles, 90 minutes 

Will I have easy internet access? 

Most hotels in Israel have free Wi-Fi available for hotel guests. Many cafes and restaurants offer a complementary Wi-Fi service. 

Since September 2013, Tel Aviv offers a citywide free Wi-Fi network which provides 80 free Internet “hot spots” across the city. 


Will I be able to use my cell phone in Israel? 

If you have an international plan, your cell phone may work in Israel, please check with your local provider. It can be very expensive to use your cell phone without an international plan. 

What is the country code to dial to Israel? 

+ 972 

What is the weather like in Israel, Rome, and Greece? When is the best time to visit?. 

March is an excellent time of the year for travel. The temperatures are very comfortable. For specific details, see the Travel Guide


What kind of clothing should I pack? 

In Summer, lightweight T-shirts, sleeveless shirts (although at some religious sites, you will be required to cover your shoulders.) Pack a sweater or a jacket for nights.


What is the currency in Israel? 

The Shekel; you’ll find it abbreviated as NIS (New Israeli Shekel). Exchange rates of the Shekel to all foreign currencies as well as other information can be found here

What credit cards are accepted? 

You can use your ATM card to obtain Shekels at ATM’s throughout Israel. You can also use American Express, MasterCard and Visa cards at most Israeli hotels, restaurants and stores. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTIFY YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY THAT YOU WILL BE TRAVELING IN ISRAEL so that they will not suspect that someone has stolen your card, and decline your charges. 

Is everything closed on the Sabbath (Shabbat) in Israel? 

Shabbat (the Sabbath) is the Jewish holy day of the week observed every Saturday. Shabbat starts at sunset on Friday and ends at sundown on Saturday evening. All public offices are closed on Shabbat, as are banks, most stores and businesses; throughout Israel there is a growing number of shops open on Shabbat. In most cities, public transportation (trains and buses) do not operate on Shabbat. Most non-kosher restaurants are open on Shabbat. 

Do you exchange cash for local currency onboard or at the port?

There are limited currency conversion options onboard, however Royal Carribean does accept most major currencies and converts them to US dollars with applicable conversion rates, and at a limit of $950 USD per person per day. There are NOT always exchange facilities available or open in the ports. Even if exchange facilities are available we will not have time as a group to accommodate this process. Most vendors at our destinations on our cruise will accept US dollars and Euros. If not, then at reputable places credit cards can be used.  Whenever possible, it is best to use local currency when purchasing small items or bargaining in the marketplace so as to eliminate the exchange rate issue in the purchase process.  

bottom of page